Saturday, March 13, 2010

Interesting!..Could have been discussed in class under ethics

Maintaining Your Professional Boundaries

By Cynthia M. A. Geppert, MD, PhD | March 1, 2010
"I’m one of the only psychiatrists practicing in this area. What am I realistically supposed to do when I see one of my patients in public? Whenever I go to the gym or library or grocery store, I see several patients I’m actively treating. Some want to say hello and some want to socialize. My response so far has been to try to avoid them.

As a fee-for-service psychiatrist, I am in a tough spot because I cannot totally ignore patients when they approach me without seeming to be uncaring.

How can I maintain my professional boundaries in this 'small town' environment?"

3 comments:

  1. This tidbit was sent to us by Sarah... Thanks! This most definitely is a fascinating scenario. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that's so definately true.. it's difficult to juggle the two roles simultaneously.. but where should one draw a line??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So.. what was the original reply to this question? What does Mr. Diptarup have to say about this?

    I was thinking - what if in their brief outside encounters, she tried explaining the necessity of minimal social contact with her clients? I understand that this can be a tough task, especially in a small town environment.

    Anyway, just me 0.02 worth :)

    ReplyDelete